Free patterns, how-to-make and my first video tutorial

Finally as promised, the fleece jacket with free patterns, step by step photos and a sewing video! Unlike the previous few sew-alongs, I didn’t announce this before hand, because I just wanted to post it here for anyone and everyone to read and sew whenever they feel like it. It really doesn’t matter when you join in. I hope to make this a regular feature next year. In fact, I’m going to be re-organizing things a bit over here but more about that when I get back. As this project is rather timely for the cold weather, I’ve decided to post this up first.

Today’s project includes

1. Free patterns for download
  2. A “how-to-make” with step by step photos
  3. A sewing video on youtube.
And we will be making this…

A fleece hoodie jacket

With a nicely finished neckline on the inside

All ready?

One thing I would like to say before we begin is that I’m not a professional, and I’ve not even been to sewing school (2 semesters of Home Economics when I was a teenager doesn’t count right?). Everything I learned about is from books, the internet, and the hard way. So the way I do certain things might break the traditional sewing rules (especially how I attach a zipper!) but I’ve tried many ways and this is my favorite way of doing it. If you have your own favorite method, by all means do it your way! :)

There are only two sizes available at the moment, because I only drafted these two sizes for my girls. The jackets are loose fitting though, as it is meant as an outerwear. So it can fit a range of ages from 3-8. (My older girl is 8, and taller than 116, but because it is loose fitting, I made 116cm and extended the hemline.)

Here are a few things to take note about the patterns.

1. The patterns are larger than a single sheet of paper so they are created in multi-page PDFs. You will need to print them on A4 size paper and piece them together with scissors and tape/glue.
  2. ALL SEAM ALLOWANCES ARE INCLUDED (Don’t mean to shout it out but as this is not the norm in Japanese sewing books’ patterns, I thought it was best that I highlighted this point. It is one of my pet peeves to trace out patterns and manually add on seam allowances, so I really prefer having seam allowances included in my patterns. In the future I should be sticking to this format. I have also highlighted the seam allowance on the pattern in light gray so you can visualize the actual sewing line.)
  3. Remember to select A4 as your paper output size when printing, instead of Letter as the different sizes may truncate certain parts of the joining lines. Do not  select scale-to-fit option. It should print nicely at 100%
  4. Use recycled paper if you can, because you are going to cut most of it up.
  5. I spent hours putting this together, so please do not copy or redistribute it as your own. You are certainly welcome to link back to this post and credit the source to me :)

Without further ado,here are the download links for the patterns

And here is the video!

Right now as this post is being published, I am on my way to Sapporo. So I will only be able to check and answer any questions when I get connected, sorry about that!

In the meantime, Happy Sewing! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

21 Responses

1. vesna says:

I wonder if you could help me with choice of fabric.
    I can’t buy fleece in my country. Can you suggest any other type of fabric?
    Tutorial is great!

Regards, Vesna

• Japanese Sewing Books says:

Hi Vesna, You can use knit fabric like jersey. Use the thicker types and finish off the cuffs and hemline with a ribbed jersey if you are familiar with sewing in knits. I didn’t buy fleece locally too. There are not many choices here. I actually bought them online from fabric.com. Shipping is not too expensive if you use a coupon. You didn’t mention which country you are from so I hope they ship to yours! :)

• vesna says:

I’m from Bosnia and Herzegovina and as much as I can see, they don’t have shipping for my country.
        Thank you so much for the answer. I am familiar with sewing with knits, so I’ll try!

Vesna

• Japanese Sewing Books says:

Hi Vesna, You might want to try to search on Etsy? Some individual sellers will ship worldwide. They probably have less restrictions than large online stores. Good luck!

2. Rebecca says:

Have a fun trip, as I know you will.
    Thank you for ALL the time put into making this video, that was a huge task. You explained it all so well and make it so easy. Fleece is so fun to sew on, no finishing the seams, I love that part. Here in Washington state it gets cold so I have sewn fleece clothing for one of my smaller granddaughters.
    Ok eager to hear about your trip when you return, wish I could have gone with you!

• Japanese Sewing Books says:

Thanks Rebecca, yes it was a huge task! But the next time it should get better and easier since I will be more familiar with setting up the lighting and cameras. I’m going fabric shopping today! :)

3. Vivian says:

Hi,

I like the tutorial very much and looking forward the next project. :)

May I know what is the length of the zip for size 104 cm?

4. Ella says:

I was wondering how you might amend this pattern to have a collar instead of a hood? I want to make a jacket for my son in his favorite color, but he will not want a hood. Thanks! Your tutorial is wonderful and very easy to follow!

5. Mary says:

I loved the video, I was working though if you could help me and tell me what size these are. I am looking for a 2XL sized hoodie pattern for a couple projects. Thanks!

6. Sinead says:

Hello. I was wondering if you could tell me what length of material is needed for each of the fleeces? Thanks!

7. Silvia says:

Very good tutorial thanks

8. Silvia says:

I like your tutorial very clear and easy to follow thanks

9. Jill Spencer says:

Thanx so much for the video. It’s awesome, I learned a lot. I have never seen your little clips for holding the material. I love them better then pins. How can I get them.
    Thanx
    Jill Spencer

• Japanese Sewing Books says:

Hi Jill, I love these clips! They are from Clover and come in packs of 10 or more. Some of the larger clips even have seam allowance markings too. They are great for sewing with fabrics where pins may leave unsightly holes, and they grip well. You can find them here Clover Wonder Clips

10. Allison says:

I am going to use your pattern to make fleece hoodies for my 3 boys. I’m wondering what the red dotted lines are on the pattern pieces. Is that the line to overlap pattern pieces? Thanks!

11. Annie says:

Hi, Its my first time on here so please excuse me but I couldn’t find the answers on Kids fleece jacket to ‘how long is the zip for 116cm’ and ‘how much material is needed for this size’. I have never made one like this before so have no idea of how much fleece is required. Many thanks Annie

12. Annie says:

Hi
    Re: my previous questions, I have printed out the instructions and low and behold the answers are already there. Many thanks