Free Pattern, Tutorial and Sewing Video – Cross back apron for adult and kids

The final post fo Back to School sewing month, as promised, will be a free sewing tutorial + patterns + video. The project I have chosen is a cross back apron!

The cross back apron is brilliant because it has no straps, snaps, velcro etc. Kids will not need any assistance in tying straps because they can get in and out of it easily. It was so quick and easy to do that I made 4 already! Two in cotton for “cooking” at home, and two in waterproof plastic for art class.

Before I move on to the pattern, I would like to give credit to this Japanese sewing blog ぬいものちくたくwhich first shed light on how a back cross apron is made. I was a little confused over the last step because there was no details so I decided to make one for myself and include a full sewing video and tutorial on how it is made. The pattern on the website linked above was too small for my kids though, so I drafted one out from scratch using my own measurements. Fortunately, as the apron is meant to be loose fitting, the same size could fit both my 4 and 8 yr olds well. The only difference is in the length of the apron which was a little long for my 4 year old but just nice for my 8 yr old.

One of my readers once wrote to me asking for a similar pattern for an adult size. Apparently there was a website that offered a free pattern for adults but now it leads to a broken link, so I’ve drafted one in adult size  and included the PDF pattern below.

Click here to download the tutorial

Click here to download the Kid’s Cross back apron pattern

The PDF pattern for the kids apron is made up of 9 A4 sheets of paper pieced together in the above sequence.

Click here to download the Adult’s Cross back apron pattern

The PDF pattern for the kids apron is made up of 16 A4 sheets of paper pieced together in the above sequence.

And last but not least, here’s the sewing video! (I used a scaled down version of the pattern so that everything can be captured on screen)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

19 Responses

1. Lovely video. Is there supposed to have any sound?

2. Thanks for sharing these awesome tutorial and pattern. The apron is super cute!

3. Fay Roberts says:

The video tutorial is great – it makes the whole process seem very straightforward. I will definitely be having a go at making a couple of aprons for Mother’s Day (which is in March here in the UK). I am also looking forward to your promise of more tutorials this year. Thank you very much for all your hard work.

4. Deb Mattson says:

Thank you for the pattern!

5. Sophie says:

thank you so much for posting this. I’m a potter and have been looking for a pattern for this type of apron for ages. They’re perfect as you can just slip in and out of them without having to fiddle around with ties. Fantastic!

6. Thank you for sharing! I scooped your post on
    Needle and Hook Patterns
    and Pinned it here Needle and Hook Patterns

7. Maria V. says:

I love love love your idea, your pattern and you color choices… I’ve decided to use your pattern but assemble it like this site suggests … http://www.instructables.com/id/mobius-apron/ … (i.e.: attach the straps and then sew on the bias tape in one continuous strip) THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH FOR SHARING!

8. Natalie says:

Thank you for this pattern and for the instructions. Can’t wait to try it!

9. I love this apron and have been looking for a pattern like this for some time now. I’m fairly new at sewing but found it easy to make this reversible by sewing right sides together leaving the bib open. I then turned it out, tucked the straps into the bib top and top sewed it!

10. Mathurine says:

Thanks a lot for this beautiful pattern ! It’s just fantastic to sew and wear !

11. Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!!!! I LOVE this pattern and the (3) aprons I’ve sewn from it so far. You are amazing! I love how you ‘translate’ this project into easily accomplished ‘bites’ and your ‘easy print out’ patterns are THE BEST!!
    Warmly–Heather Woollove
    Here’s Part 1 of the first one I made!

12. stephanie says:

I have been looking for this pattern forever! Thanks so much for posting.

13. Thank you! Very clear. Cute apron, comfort style.. I shall try!

14. jessi says:

thank you so very much for this pattern, will e making one of these for my daughter & am currently modifying the pattern to be an apron dress for me! so simply, so gorgeous…thank you for both the pattern & the inspiration. I look forward to perusing your blog more soon…love!!

15. Susie says:

Thank you for such a clever way to show
    Project in small scale. Very helpful!

16. Ann says:

Thanks so much for extra clear instructions, have made two in the last few days as Easter presents. I dyed a pair of cotton curtains forest green with Dylon washing machine dyes and have bound each with striped fabric, they look great.

17. Ann says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial – I’ve been coveting an apron for myself and my sister and will be trying your fabulous tutorial asap!

18. maggie says:

Thank you so much I have been searching for a similar pattern to this for ages will definitely have a go and the site is so easy to move around and down load thank you again

19. Carolyn says:

Thanks for this pattern. My daughter and her friend have started a catering business and they wanted to wear this type of apron made of linen for their “uniform”. We saw lots of images on the internet for what she was looking for, but no instructions or patterns. I’ve just completed one in no time and it just what they have been looking for. Thanks.